So,

The interrupts are wanted because they are there :)
Basically, there is already SPI code that does the busy-waiting.
I was hoping that I could add value to that code by utilizing interrupts.
Alas, my hardware isn't easily coaxed into such mummery.

Also, the existing code utilizes the SPI not SSP.
So, this also motivates my investigation.

Yeah, though, I'm considering tapping into button2;