I used to poke at pyrotechnics, but smoke was never my big thing.  I
was more into colors and flashes.  That said, I bet I could have some
reasonable stuff fairly easily, and I think someone else mentioned
this as well.  Heat would be a big issue, as might timing.  I remember
pyro smoke being rather touchy to ignite.  I'm wondering now if there
isn't a pressure dependency, much like our solid motors, but I bet we
could have reliability.  I was thinking about the CA + cellulose
reaction, and how that might be leveraged, but that's not nearly as
easily manipulated as an electric match.

Honestly, smoke balls in an apparatus for precise ignition might work
rather well...