On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 04:52:50PM -0700, Nagasrinivas Pinjala wrote:
> I am trying to compile a simple Hello World program using make. I got this
> error message:
>

> pinjalan@mydomain:~/Desktop/C/hello$ make
> make: *** No rule to make target `main.c', needed by `main.o'.  Stop.
>

> I do not this understand this error message at all. Do I need to declare a
> rule for the source file as well ? I am also attaching the makefile with this
> e-mail.

Can you provide the output of "ls" in that directory?

Also note that to declare a dependency on stdio.h, you'd have to use the
complete path to that include file.  Most of the time makefiles don't
bother declaring dependencies on system headers manually, though some do
automatically (through gcc's generation of makefile snippets).

- Josh Triplett