On 10/05/2011 08:22 AM, Andrew Greenberg wrote:
Hi everyone,

We got the new PCI-104 Atom-based flight computer stack up and running
tonight! See:

http://psas.pdx.edu/avionics/av3_atom_fc_stack/

Although a few warranties were voided, everything went very well and
we're ready to start building Linux images and integrating the stack
into the existing avionics system.

Congratulations to the team!

This seems to validate my long-held opinion... PSAS has had another long journey through PowerPC land to eventually end up with another X86 architecture. For unique custom systems (given a plethora of alternatives) hardware cost, weight or performance are rarely gating factors to success. The ability to have engineers quickly dispense with platform and toolchain issues and get into application development quickly usually wins the deal. Intel is wise to this model and it maintains their relevance with all these embedded commercial and industrial computers, and the programming systems for them. Although it may not be fastest, smallest, least power hungry, cleverest, or best, Intel keeps being relevant to a lot of players.

Cheers,
James
--
James Perkins <ja...@loowit.net>  KN1X  www.loowit.net/~james
2094 Arthur St, Eugene, OR 97405       +1.971.344.3969 mobile