Hi Andrew,

On 09/10/2012 01:50 PM, Andrew Greenberg wrote:
Hi Ben,

Does PSAS have access to the PSU Microwave Lab?

Yes, kind of: we can certainly get access to the microwave lab and use
their equipment, assuming we know what we're doing. Testing high energy
stuff isn't what their equipment is for, however.

Can equipment be checked out for performance testing at a test range?

Not really: it can be, but we have to get insurance, and it's a *big*
hassle. Those test sets are in the > $30K range. Although there may be
some cheap surplus sets available we might have more access to,
depending on what you want to do.

Okay. Some lab measurements may be useful enough to work out a preliminary, safe regime --basically need to work out a reasonable picture of the resonant characteristics of a passive system --a kind of power inducing cavity-dielectric resonator set --without operating the unit by working with subcomponents. Assuming the full unit has the potential.

Water replaces oxygen and hydrogen as the stored fuel. Microwaves heat
water vapor, separating the O-H2 bonds, and a nearly continuous spark
keeps the mix burning.

Interesting! Let us know more when you can.

These experiments ought to have emissions testing for safety, since the
scaled versions of the two high-Q resonators and power induction
apparatus might emit significant microwaves (and RF in the case of a
full-size unit).

Yeah, that's probably an excellent idea. Is this all at 2 GHz regime? or?

I guess multi-band since the theoretical resonance would cycle between 3 different primaries (each with two oscillating frequencies due to the dielectrics).

Perhaps somewhere in SHF for testing (fractional size), with the higher limits depending on dieletric resonant properties.

A full-scale unit might work in UHF.

In 2 or 3 weeks I should have a conceptual design document with initial requirements, specifications etc.

cheers,

BenB