Hey,

Very interesting.

Others may know more about the low level, but i think the main thing you
need is "monitor" mode. I think this allows capture of frames even if
they have errors, then in principle all you have to do is compare the
received frames to the known pattern of transmission.

I think it's worth picking hardware that has good driver support for the
measurements you want to make. Any kind of driver modifications are a
major undertaking unless you've been in that flow already.

Refs:

  http://www.ict-optimix.eu/images/a/ad/WiFiBitError.pdf

  http://madwifi-project.org/

  http://www.radiotap.org/