It may not come as a surprise that the network works after it was working just
fine before. The big deal here is that we are now using the fancy Ethernet
switch to create multiple VLANs to isolate critical data paths.

With multiple networks, we need something to route data between them. Thanks to
the magic of tagged VLANs (802.1Q), all of these VLANs are delivered over one
physical interface to the Intel NUC. So now the NUC is functioning as the core
router on top of telemetry and other duties.

With this change we were able to switch to a dedicated link between ground and
launch tower. Hopefully that will help with some of the tower communication
issues we have seen in the past. A dedicated VLAN has been created for
non-critical ground WiFi so that service can easily be disabled if
communication problems pop up.

Most importantly with all of these different VLANs, we will be able to quickly
narrow down where network issues are occurring. This should put us in a good
place to spend more time squashing bugs than hunting for them.

Immediate concerns:
- Most off-rocket hosts have new IP addressees.  Any associated hard-coded
addresses will need to be updated.
- Live AIS data is not displaying at the FDT. Maybe a socat command on the tm3k
needs a fresh IP?

Future work:
- setup Nagios
- setup remote syslog everywhere
- install Splunk
- win!

On May 22, 2015 6:31:26 PM PDT, Andrew Greenberg <a...@ece.pdx.edu> wrote:
>Kenny got the entire FDT/LTC/FC network stack up and running. After
>some
>stupid configuration problems with the ubiquiti POE-to-wifi adapter, it
>now just all works. We even power cycled it and made sure it came up
>sanely. Go Kenny!

Kenny