Glad to see new activity here.

I did a lot of independent research and calculations on this stuff a
few years back, and my conclusion was basically that the propulsion
team should think about designing one stage of a hypothetical three
stage rocket - that is, a stage with a delta-v of ~3.2km/s when the
payload mass is based on the non-propulsion components of previous
launch vehicles. Achieving such a thing would go a long way toward
gaining credibility, and it'd make one hell of a sounding rocket on
its own. A really conservative rough estimate, assuming 50% kinetic
energy lost due to drag effects, still puts the rocket at more than
200km altitude.

An actual three stage orbital LV would benefit from not having each
stage contribute an identical amount of delta-v. Specifically, it
makes sense for the first stage to be very high acceleration for a
short amount of time, and the last stage to be a longer, slower, high-
efficiency burn. The reason for this is that high acceleration is
desirable when lifting off vertically because you're losing 1 g just
to overcome gravity. However, if your mass ratio for that stage mo/mf
is, say, 0.5, this means your total accelerating mass is going to
drop in half over the burn, and in the absence of throttling (a
recommended absence) your acceleration is going to be twice as high.
Therefore the limiting factor on the delta-v contributed by any stage
is that the initial acceleration must be great enough that the 1g
loss is not significant, but the final acceleration must not tear the
vehicle apart.

This leads to a more realistic estimate of perhaps 2 to 2.5km/s delta-
v from the first stage, as a design goal. This is doable with an
exhaust velocity of 2500m/s and a fuel/total mass ratio of 63%. Still
pretty technically challenging, but within reason. Keep the design as
simple as possible, consider doing some test launches without the
full avionics and recovery package - just having the nose cone pop
off and deploy a streamer to spoil the aerodynamics is a lot more
reliable than a parachute recovery system deployed by a computer
running Java. By now it should be obvious that the Shuttle is the
opposite of good design practices in terms of reliability,
infrastructure required to launch, frequency of launch, &c.

Some things to consider.

Richard Campbell