Hi all, to give the short update, the member in crisis is alive. They are
participating in a channel dedicated to emotional support on our Slack.

They did repeat the promise to die by suicide subsequent to the first
message. Maelle on of our organizers with prior experience as a nurse
working with psychiatry interceded with the member in crisis.

Part of our subsequent discussions amongst the organizers of PuPPy included
tactics to limit mental health loading on our organizers.

Unfortunately like many topics that deserve attention and a plan, we
haven't completed any concrete guidelines or a policy on handling incidents
in the future.

I do want to keep at this one. Will share if we produce anything that's
helpful.
ᐧ

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 1:01 PM Ian Stapleton Cordasco <
graffatcolmin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would always try to refer them to trained crisis counselors, e.g.,
> CrisisTextline.
>
> If they won't reach out, you can text in for coaching on how best to help
> them
>
> Sent from my phone with my typo-happy thumbs. Please excuse my brevity
>
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2018, 14:46 Don Sheu <dina...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Recently, we as organizers dealt with somebody on Slack in distress. This
>> created a lot of tough decisions on responses. Alan Vezina my fellow
>> founder of PuPPy took a lead. Following some coaching from social workers,
>> he made a call to 911.
>>
>> Wondering if other organizers have anything to share.
>>
>> We didn't build the Ark in this case. But now after the rain trying to
>> backfill with some process so we're better prepared.
>>
>> --
>> Don Sheu
>> 312.880.9389
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>

>> My Python user group convenes every month 2nd Wednesdays
>> http://www.meetup.com/PSPPython/events/232708762/
>>

>> *CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE*: *The information contained in this message may
>> be protected trade secrets or protected by applicable intellectual property
>> laws of the United States and International agreements. If you believe that
>> it has been sent to you in error, do not read it. Please immediately reply
>> to the sender that you have received the message in error. Then delete it.
>> Thank you.*
>> ᐧ

Don Sheu
312.880.9389