Acabo de participar de um chat com a presença de Nat Friedman no
irc.freenode.net, canal #ubuntu-classroom. Esse bate-papo faz parte da
programação do Ubuntu Open Week (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek) -
OpenSuSE Invite Discussion - Mark Shuttleworth - que ocorre durante toda
essa semana.

Para quem interessar transcrevo abaixo a participação de Nat Friedman
(nickname Nat_) que terminou há alguns minutos. Mark Shuttleworth participa
como o nick sabdfl.

<Panzerboy_> lol
<Nat_> You were killed by a grue :-)
<tuxub> :p
<Nat_> Thanks for the invitation to say something, I appreciate that, but I
was just hear to lurk and listen :-)
<sabdfl> story of my life :-)
* no1z ([EMAIL PROTECTED]/no1z) has joined #ubuntu-classroom
* nejc has quit (Read error: 110 (Connection timed out))
<Nat_> I do think a lot of people misunderstand and blow out of proportion
the Novell/MS deal
* acacs has quit ("Ex-Chat")
* sg ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) has joined #ubuntu-classroom
<Amaranth> Nat_: Tell a joke?
* Sufixx ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) has left #ubuntu-classroom
* Ltsvenks ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) has joined #ubuntu-classroom
<Nat_> I can understand why people would be concerned about a partnership
with Microsoft, but I guess I'd ask people to look at the situtaion and try
to see if there's really a real harm being done.
<Nat_> And if people have questions I'm glad to field those :-)
<Nat_> Here or elsewhere
* abknicker ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) has joined
#ubuntu-classroom
<Nat_> I'm also on another phone call right now so I'm not really as
articulate as, like, I'd want to be
* Dinxter has quit ("jumps ship")
* tom56 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) has joined
#ubuntu-classroom
<Nat_> ;-)
* BenC ([EMAIL PROTECTED]/developer/bcollins) has joined #ubuntu-classroom
<sabdfl> ok, questions for Nat_ in -chat, i'll post here
* nejc ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) has joined #ubuntu-classroom
* enkrates ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) has joined
#ubuntu-classroom
<Nat_> Thanks :-)
* mdy ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) has joined #ubuntu-classroom
* tvnz ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) has joined #ubuntu-classroom
* Pericope ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) has joined
#ubuntu-classroom
<oblio> Nat_: for microsoft, no harm :))
* vonkleist ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) has
joined #ubuntu-classroom
* siegie has quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
<sabdfl> (18:52:13) jku_: QUESTION: Nat_, so you disagree with sabdfl about
the meaning/importance of the patent-part of the deal? Do you see no ill
effects for the free software community?
<eboogie> Nat_ : can you clarify the comments steve balmer made about the
future infringements?
* ign0s ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) has joined #ubuntu-classroom
* amarillion has quit ("Ex-Chat")
<Nat_> Personally I think we got MS to acknowledge that Linux is real, that
it matters; we got a lot of money from them that we can use to continue to
subsidize writing free software -- software that shows up in Ubuntu, for
example; we didn't violate the GPL and I don't think there's any real harm
to any other parties.
<apokryphos> !questions
<ubotu> Please ask your questions in #ubuntu-classroom-chat
* __lynX has quit (Operation timed out)
<eboogie> you're right...my bad.
<sabdfl> (18:52:16) KHatfull: QUESTION: (for Nat_) Can you give us the short
3-5 sentence statement on what the Novell/MS deal means to someone iside
openSUSE?
<Nat_> Microsoft has been making threatening noises about Linux and their
patents for years and years, that's nothing new
* amarillion ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) has joined
#ubuntu-classroom
* thotz ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) has joined
#ubuntu-classroom
* rikai_ ([EMAIL PROTECTED]/rikai) has joined #ubuntu-classroom
* MisterN is now known as MisterN|afk
<Nat_> I think it menas basically nothing for someone inside opensuse,
except I hope it means that we get to hire more people to contribute to
opensuse.
<Nat_> One of the things we asked Microsoft to put in the deal, and which
they tried to put in, is a promise never to sue a person for their
association with free software
<sabdfl> (18:53:03) LoudMouthMan: QUESTION: NAT_ can you introduce your self
and clarify your relationship with OPensuse and Suse/Novell ?
* rhk_ has quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
<sabdfl> drumroll...
* rikai has quit (Nick collision from services.)
* engla ([EMAIL PROTECTED]/Sverdrup) has joined #ubuntu-classroom
* rikai_ is now known as rikai
<Nat_> They didn't do a great job of that, but they're going to redraft it
and we hope to see something improved at some point soon :-)
* talat ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) has joined #ubuntu-classroom
<sabdfl> (18:53:27) Bourlotieris: QUESTION: "No real harm done" - do you
believe that Balmer would make the UNACCEPTABLE announcement he did a few
days ago if there was no deal with Novell?
<Nat_> Oh, I'm Nat Friedman, I cofounded a company called Ximian in 1999; in
2003 we sold it to Novell; now I'm CTO of the Linux group at Novell.  I live
in Germany.
<Nat_> Well, first I agree that Ballmer's statements were totally
unacceptable
<Nat_> and our CEO published an open letter in which he said the same thing
<sabdfl> (18:53:38) apokryphos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nat_Friedman
* ekiMs has quit (Remote closed the connection)
<Nat_> But, it doesn't take a lot of google searching to determine that he's
been saying approximately those same things for years and years, independent
of any dealings with Novell
<Nat_> So, yes, I think he would have been saying that stuff anyway.
<Bourlotieris> Only now Novell is relished from that
* gheorghe ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) has left #ubuntu-classroom
("Leaving")
<Nat_> Novell is not released
* luke86 has quit ("Ex-Chat")
<Nat_> Microsoft could sue Novell at any time, that's not prohibited in the
contract
<Nat_> We would be protected by our own patent portfolio (which we could use
to sue Microsoft back) and by OIN, which we helped create.
* openix ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) has joined
#ubuntu-classroom
* zorglu_ ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) has joined
#ubuntu-classroom
<Nat_> If you don't know OIN -- check out www.openinventionnetwork.com.
it's a company that pools patents and uses them to protect Linux
<Nat_> so if someone sues Canonical, or Red Hat, or Debian, over a
Linux-related patent infringement, OIN will sue them back
<Nat_> Novell helped OIN get all of the patents they have today.
* ferox_ ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) has joined #ubuntu-classroom
<sabdfl> Best news I've had all day :-)
* patrihito ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) has joined
#ubuntu-classroom
<sabdfl> Ok, thanks very much Nat_
<Nat_> Novell didn't actually need that protection itself (becuase we
already had ~400 patents)... but we did it anyway
<Nat_> yep
* typecast ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) has joined
#ubuntu-classroom
<Nat_> thanks for the chance :-)
<sabdfl> yer welcome
<sabdfl> in closing
<sabdfl> i do want to apologise to anyone offended by my direct invitation
to opensuse devs

Aqui a URL para acessar os logs das sessões anteriores:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs

Abraço,