2009/12/15 Ricardo Bánffy <rban...@gmail.com>

> A Oracle não pode controlar o MySQL. Ele é GPL, lembra?
>
> A Oracle já é uma potência em termos de SGBDs

Por isso mesmo. Algumas explicações no blog original do autor do mysql:

    http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2009/12/help-saving-mysql.html
"""
Richard Stallman agrees that it's very important which company owns MySQL,
that Oracle should not be allowed to buy it under present terms and that *it
can't just be taken care of by a community of volunteers*.
http://keionline.org/ec-mysql
"""

No final do documento "Letter to the EC opposing Oracle's acquisition of
MySQL":
   http://keionline.org/ec-mysql
"""
(...)

Defenders of the Oracle acquisition of its competitor naively say Oracle
cannot harm MySQL, because a free version of the software is available to
anyone under GNU GPL version 2.0, and if Oracle is not a good host for the
GPL version of the code, future development will be taken up by other
businesses and individual programmers, who could freely and easily "fork"
the GPL'd code into a new platform. This defense fails for the reasons that
follow.

MySQL uses the parallel licensing approach to generate revenue to continue
the FLOSS development of the software. If Oracle acquired MySQL, it would
then be the only entity able to release the code other than under the GPL.
Oracle would not be obligated to diligently sell or reasonably price the
MySQL commercial licenses. More importantly, Oracle is under no obligation
to use the revenues from these licenses to advance MySQL. In making
decisions in these matters, Oracle is facing an obvious conflict of interest
– the continued development of a powerful, feature rich free alternative to
its core product.

As only the original rights holder can sell commercial licenses, no new
forked version of the code will have the ability to practice the parallel
licensing approach, and will not easily generate the resources to support
continued development of the MySQL platform.

The acquisition of MySQL by Oracle will be a major setback to the
development of a FLOSS database platform, potentially alienating and
dispersing MySQL's core community of developers. It could take several years
before another database platform could rival the progress and opportunities
now available to MySQL, because it will take time before any of them attract
and cultivate a large enough team of developers and achieve a similar
customer base.

Yet another way in which Oracle will have the ability to determine the
forking of MySQL relates to the evolution of the GNU GPL license. GPL
version 2.0 (GPLv2) and GPL version 3.0 (GPLv3) are different licenses and
each requires that any modified program carry the same license as the
original. There are fundamental and unavoidable legal obstacles to combining
code from programs licensed under the different GPL versions. Today MySQL is
only available to the public under GPLv2.

Many other FLOSS software projects are expected to move to GPLv3, often
automatically due to the common use of the "any later version" clause.
Because the current MySQL license lacks that clause, it will remain GPLv2
only and it will not be possible to combine its code with the code of many
GPLv3-covered projects in the future. Given that forking of the MySQL code
base will be particularly dependent on FLOSS community contributions - more
so than on in-company development - the lack of a more flexible license* for
MySQL will present considerable barriers to a new forked development path
for MySQL.

We note that Oracle has been conspicuously silent about its plans for MySQL
since the announcement of the Sun acquisition, until very recently. Oracle
CEO Larry Ellison, in the first public statement on the subject, insisted
that Oracle will not spin-off MySQL after the merger and also made the
outlandish claim that Oracle's product was not in competition with MySQL.
While some merger defenders have suggested that the MySQL acquisition will
bolster Oracle's position with respect to competition from Microsoft's SQL
Server, it is naturally more likely that Oracle will prioritize protecting
its core product, the Oracle proprietary database, from further erosion of
market share and the shrinking of licensing fees, and this will most
efficiently be accomplished by curbing the growth and improvement of the
free version of MySQL.

We recognize the support Sun provides to increase competition in numerous
markets through its support of FLOSS and open standards. We also recognize
that Oracle's acquisition of Sun may be essential for Sun's survival.
However, Oracle should not be allowed to harm consumer interests in the
database market by weakening the competition provided by MySQL. For the
reasons elucidated above, we ask that you block Oracle's acquisition of
MySQL.
"""

--
Existe mais de uma maneira de chegar lá