I have often used umlauts in variable names, and never had problems.  I've also
experimented with Chinese and other exotic characters and everything works fine
for me.

That error message is not one that PSPP generates.  It looks like it is coming
from the operating system.

So I think this must be a case of OS-Mac being to clever for its own good.

J'