Hi List,
PT 8.1 I/O ? below;;

Using Pro Tools 8.1 and the new I/O setup, "Overwrite Current
I/O. Setup When Opened option"

No matter if its unchecked or checked when I open an older 5.1 PT session the session still uses its audio track outputs that were saved with the session. May be I am missing something here but I thought the new I/O set up in PT 8.1 would automatically use the Outputs from the newer PT session and you would save time changing all the Outputs to hear what is in the session.
Here is a blurb from the I/O pdf..

When to Enable (or Disable) the “Sessions
Overwrite Current I/O. Setup When Opened”
Option for Optimal Session Interchange
When exchanging sessions among different sys-
tems running ProTools 8.1, it is generally rec-
ommended that the Sessions Overwrite Current
I/O Setup When Opened option be disabled. This
maintains your custom system settings and
ProTools automatically remaps session output
busses to the system output paths when open-
ing sessions created (or edited and saved) on
other systems.
When exchanging sessions with systems run-
ning lower versions of Pro Tools, it is generally
recommended that the Sessions Overwrite Cur-
rent I/O Setup When Opened option be enabled.
In this case, any custom settings saved with the
session that do not match your system may need
to be reconfigured in the I/O Setup.
Thanks for the assistance

Chuck Reichel
954-742-0019