Hmm… turns out this Pro Tools Aggregate Device thing is slightly puzzling. I
mentioned that, upon first launch, Pro Tools wouldn't play because VoiceOver
was using Core Audio. I plugged in a USB headset and Pro Tools instantly played
through the headset. OK, cool. I figured one could at least use a headset or a
USB sound card of some sort to play back audio when not connected to an
interface.

This afternoon, I launched Pro Tools and plugged in the same headset but Pro
Tools didn't automatically play back through the headset. Much to my surprise,
it was playing back through the built-in speakers along with VoiceOver. Hmm…
well, great. I mean, that's good news in terms of being able to use Core Audio
along with VoiceOver without the need for headphones and all. Still, just
slightly puzzling but, oh well, the more options, the better.