Hi Chris,

Welcome to the list. Pro Tools is, in many ways, totally accessible but there
are still areas that need improvement, some more urgent than others. I'll try
to give an overview.
 Virtually all areas of audio recording and editing are accessible. Creating
tracks, routing input & output, soloing, muting, etc., all of the things one
needs to record multi-channel audio is very straight-forward and rock solid.
There is no better platform on the planet to edit audio and it can all be done
with keyboard shortcuts. In fact, Pro Tools has an plethora of key commands for
all kinds of things.

One thing that is quite helpful, though, is a control surface of some kind.
Now, it's certainly possible to use PT without a surface but there's nothing
like having physical controls in front of you when changing track levels,
muting, record-enabling, etc. That brings me to automation. Automation is
fantastic in Pro Tools but, since it's a real-time process for blind users,
changing volume within a track as an automation pass needs to be done with a
physical fader on a control surface. A sighted user can draw an automation
curve. That's not feasible for a blind user. So, again, a control surface is
pretty much indispensible.

there's one more reason why a control surface is practically required and
that's for plug-in manipulation. Now, it's easy to instantiate a plug-in and
it's possible to access parameters and change values but it's far more
efficient to use a control surface to do that. again, it's possible to live
without it but, in all honesty, I think for a blind user, it's a requirement.

MIDI recording is possible and basic editing is also. But true editing within
an event list is not yet accessible. It's something that didn't get into the
initial release for several reasons. I'm confident that there will be progress
made on that front in a future release. There are a number of things that need
to be addressed like naming of I/O paths, Elastic Audio, the Task Manager
window, among others.

Regarding your teacher's unwillingness to upgrade, well, that's kind of silly.
If the school is already on version 8, they should at least upgrade to version
8.0.4 which is a free update and it's the first version that includes
accessibility enhancements that would allow a blind user to access Pro Tools
through VoiceOver.

Hopefully, that answers some of your questions. Feel free to ask more. This
list includes people who have used Pro tools for as long as 15 years but the
majority are new to it and some questions might help others on the list as well.

best,

Slau