Great Bryan,
This is something Slau and I have discussed in the passed. We were thinking it may really help in the plugin window: even something as simple as clicking on an invisible button that VO doesn't recognize. I need to grab a copy of QK and start experimenting as well. Let us know what you find...
Vinny
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bryan Smart" <bryansm...@bryansmart.com>
To: <ptaccess@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 9:19 PM
Subject: RE: Pro Tools Hot spot update

I'm working with QuicKeys. I've started a project to assemble QK shortcuts of use to VoiceOver users. It's partly OT here, but I already have a collection of shortcuts for some apps that I've put together, including iTunes and Skype, as well as for some web apps like the Netflix and Rhapsody players.

Pro Tools is an app that could definitely use some help in this area. It is nowhere as easy as scripting for the Windows screen readers to do so, but QK can be set to automatically trigger shortcuts if a test function succeeds. That function can examine the user interface, for example, to watch for a change in a meter or some other value. QK shortcuts can include an Applescript action, so that they can speak directly through VoiceOver, if something useful happens on screen. This combination could be setup so that meters and other important info could automatically speak, if the user activated a particular mode.

Just as other food for thought, the shortcuts can also be triggered through MIDI events. This would make it possible to setup a controller or external button box to perform actions when the controls are manipulated.

Anyway, I plan to start poking at Pro Tools with QK in the next day or two. Will post what comes of it.

If anyone would like to check out my project "VoxKeys", in its current form, go to:

http://blog.bryansmart.com/voxkeys-project/

Bryan