Another option is to use something like quickeys to map the numpad shortcuts to
the number row on a non extended keyboard. Someone did this and shared the
quick keys script with me. i haven't tried it yet but i know its not all the
number roow shortcuts,  If there is interest, i'll see if i can find it and
share it here. Though  an extended keyboard is probably the easiest way to go.
If you don't care about the 2  USB ports on the keyboard, decent uSB keyboards
can be had for under $10 on amazon. Though given that they are PC keyboards you
may have to remap a few keys to get it to work the rich way on amac. Personally
i just ended up getting the  full sized apple keyboard in the end.