I think my issue is more the e q than it is the gain or the level. If I turn the lows up too much, I get mud, yet if I back off, it doesn't have any deep thickness. if I turn my highs up to get the mud to go away, and get a brighter sound, then inevitably, I clip. If I back off the level a bit, it's too quiet, and then I have to turn the audio track fader up in PT to compensate, usually having to drive the hhell out of the audio pt's track fader. I also kind a wonder about my master volume level on the board if it may be too high, though I strongly doubt it, seeing everything else aside microphones sound clean and clear as a bell.

Knowing when to turn things up or down in PT on the software side, vs. when to before recording, ajust on the interface itself, is another hurttle of mine, I think. So, yeah, we got several things here in factor.

Chris.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Norman" <chris.norm...@googlemail.com>
To: <ptaccess@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2011 1:18 PM
Subject: Re: Bad quality: I just don't get it!

Something that's worth mentioning here, which I'm not sure as you're
aware of Chris, gain and fader level are different. Gain, is the level
of your mic before it hits the speakers, and the fader level is after.
When recording, you want to try and get the gain as high as possible
when you're recording, then if it's too loud, just fader it down
afterwards. While recording, all faders should be at 0.00 DB.

HTH.