From: ptaccess@googlegroups.com [mailto:ptaccess@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Slau Halatyn
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2013 11:33 AM
To: ptaccess@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: What's needed to effectively use Pro tools as a blind person?

Krister,

I've been using a Control|24 for about 10 years and have not followed the
control surface market closely for some time. Perhaps others who have
recently researched this can contribute some suggestions.

As far as mixing with only the Pro Tools interface, for a blind user, I'd
say it's inefficient. If you're not working with clients and you are not
under any time constraint, then it's conceivable but I would never recommend
it necessarily. First of all, you're limited to changing or automating one
track at a time. I can't imagine working that way. Again, if you're not
working with clients sitting in with you during a session, well then it's
probably not an issue. Regardless, I do prefer the tactile feedback that a
moving fader gives me. I've used Pro Tools in remote recording situations
without a surface but that was only for recording and not for any mixing
whatsoever during the recorded event. Afterwards, back at the studio, of
course, I'm back to the Control|24 and can't imagine working any other way.

Slau

On Jan 26, 2013, at 12:18 PM, Krister Ekstrom wrote:

> Hi Slau,
> Woops this proves to tax hard on my tight budget, but i guess you'll have
to live with that. smiles.
> Question is of course then what a good control surface would be, if need
be and considering that i'm on somewhat of a tight budget, what would you
say about using only the computer to mix things, record and so on, would
that at all be practical?
> /Krister
> 26 jan 2013 kl. 17:56 skrev Slau Halatyn <slauhala...@gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi Krister,
>>
>> A MIDI controller won't be anywhere near as effective as a control
surface. If you plan to do any mixing whatsoever, it's not feasible to try
doing automation with one track at time. If you'll need to mix several
tracks, a control surface is indispensable. You'll be able to work far more
efficiently using a surface to quickly mute, unmute, solo tracks, quickly
change multiple track volumes, etc.

>> Slau
>>
>> On Jan 26, 2013, at 8:34 AM, Mike LockettMike Lockett wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Krister il dropbox you Kevins tt.
>>> Now to your first question, maybe you could let us know your intent for
protools.

>>> Krister Ekstrom <kris...@kristersplace.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Here's the next newbie question: I understand that an Apple keyboard
with numeric pad is mor or less required to use PT effectively as a blind
person, but what more is required to be effectively using PT? Can a midi
keyboard act as a control surface or do you require that too if you get a
keyboard that has knobs and sliders on it? I'm still trying to get the hang
of the whole thing so please pardon me for all the silly questions. Also
does anyone happen to have the Tutorial around that Kevin Reeves did? I
googled for it and got a link but it didn't work. I got a "the requested url
can't be found on this server" message.