Chris,

Go to the Transport window.
Click once on the Pre-roll amount. Assuming you're in bars and beats, type the
number 1 and press return. The Pre-roll amount will be one bar and Pre-roll
will automatically be enabled. The button appears to the left of the numeric
field you just entered.
Move down to the Post-roll field and follow the same steps.

Now that Pre and Post roll are enabled, I'd recommend temporarily turning them
off with Command-k.

Go to the bar/beat where you wish to punch in. Select the range of bars and/or
beats you wish to record. Once you've made your selection, press Command-k to
enable Pre/Post roll. If you press record, you'll hear one bar before your
selected range as pre-roll and you'll only be in record from the selection
point. Pro Tools will record through the selection and exit record mode for the
final bar of post roll.

If you want two bars of pre-roll, obviously, substitute 2 for 1 when typing in
the pre-roll value.

Here's a tip: don't forget to turn off Pre/Post roll when you're done with your
punch-in. When you try to navigate and get to a particular bar, I guarantee
it'll confuse you when you hear the music from the previous bar and you'll
swear that you thought you meant to go to bar 41 and you'll be hearing bar 40
and all the while it'll be because you actually are at bar 41 but pre-roll is
causing you to hear bar 40 first.

I'll let someone else take the other questions.

Slau