Hey Chris, I think you described me in a lot of what you wrote just
there. Now I've been working on all of this for over a couple of
decades and I'm still working on it, but let me tell you
something.Firstly, it's not about the gear and the amount of money we
spend. I've spent way too much money on gear and yes training,
thinking that once I've bought this or that course or daw or plugin,
I'll get that sound.

So let me tell you the secret. Practise and more practise. OK, it's
boring, but you could sit down with a top producer for a week, spend
thousands of dollars and the following week, you'd be just the same as
you are now because you've not developed that amount of skill.

So, here are some recommendations.
1. Don't spend any more money than you've already spent.
2. Don't spend any more money!.
3. Go to www.therecordingrevolution.com, sign up for Graham's Email
list. Watch as many videos on that site as you can, there are hundreds
of free videos on all kinds of subjects.

Graham is a big fan of getting the best out of what you have, He even
did a video series showing what can be done with a 300 dollar studio,
find those vids and watch them.

OK, so I think I've laboured that point long enough.
4. One of the series that Graham did is called 5 minutes to a better
mix. It's on his site and on youtube. This was where he did a video
every day for a whole month with mixing tips. Then he did it again the
following year, so there are 62 videos to watch right there.

So that will be enough training for the time being.

5. Don't be like me! I'm good at watching videos saying that's cool
and then not doing it in my studio. So you need to be applying what
you're watching, that's probably the master key to improving.

6. So, there's a flip side to all this. Think of those people who work
with computers. So my question is, which group really understand them,
those who make them, or those who write the software code? My answer
is, for a true understanding, you need to have a deep knowledge of
both.

So, what's this got to do with audio engineering, well, if you're like
me, you sit in your studio and try to record one of your songs. It
sounds OKish but it doesn't sound radio ready, right?

Well, what I'm finding is this, my problem is not my lack of knowledge
on how to use an EQ or compressor, though that could use some
improving. The truth is I'm not a good enough musician to compose and
play awesome parts for my song, it's my production skills that are
letting me down.

So, in all your quest of audio engineering knowledge, don't forget the
music. When I listen to a song, I'm always asking myself, what's the
drum groove, how is the bass working with that? How may guitars are
playing? where on the neck are those chords being voiced? How can I
create that guitar tone? what are the backing vocals singing? and on
it goes? You want your stuff to sound better? get real good at
deconstructing your favourite music.

7. This is related to 6 but, if you can, get some music to practise
mixing. There's probably bound to be some free sessions on the web to
download. That will also help with your production skills as well
being able to load other people's sessions into Pro Tools and soloing
the tracks and seeing how the song was put together, that's helped me
massively.

Well, that's officially the longest post I've ever sent to a list.
Good luck Chris and we're always here to help with questions, we can
never figure all this out on our own.