Chris,

I believe you asked how to heal or fix a separation. Here is how I heal or
consolidate a separation.

Select the track where your separation/break is located.
Find the separation/break by tabbing through your timeline.

Once you know that you are on your separation, press the minus key on the
numeric pad to nudge backwards 50 ms or so, depending on what your Nudge value
is set too.
Drop an insertion point by pressing the down arrow.
Press the spacebar to play audio just for a fraction of a second and then press
the up arrow to make a selection.
Now you have that separation/break selected.
Go to the tool bar and edit menu and select heal separation or press command H.
Special note, you cannot always heal a separation for different reasons.

This is how I heal a separation. If anybody has a better workflow or advice, I
would greatly appreciate it.

Like Danny explained, you do not have to make a separation/break. I am still
trying to learn a lot of the workflows and techniques required for producing
audio and do not have all the answers about why it would be more important to
make a separation. Really has a lot to do with your workflow and how you want
to manipulate the audio regions and clips I guess.

Please, correct me if I am at all wrong.

Respectfully,
Steve Baskis
Baskis.com