Hi Reiner,

You can create models using Vergil, Tcl or Java.

When you create a model using Vergil, the model is stored in MoML,
which is XML.  You can also write XML by hand.

There are different ways to invoke Ptolemy, including not using
Vergil, see
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptIIfaq.htm#invoking%20Ptolemy%20II?

The Tcl interface to Ptolemy II allows you to invoke methods on
Java classes.
See
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII5.0/ptII/doc/coding/testing.htm

A Java class that implements a model can be found at
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII5.0/ptII/ptolemy/domains/sdf/demo/Butterfly/Butterfly.java

_Christopher

--------

    Hi everyone,

    we are planing to write an simulator for peer to peer networks. And
    instead of writing the simulation core by ourself, we would like to use
    ptolemy or some other software. Right now we are in the evaluation
    period. So for each package we write a small test application to learn
    about the technology.

    Right now I try to write a basic simulator using ptolemy, and I red a
    lot of ptolemy documentation but I still cannot figure out how to do it.
    I've learned to write an actor and I know/guess that I need a DEDirector
    object to run th simulation, but I did not find any tutorial or
    how-to-manual or hint how to do this right. All examples use vergil as
    their application frame. Well, but we do not want to use it.

    So my questions are:
    1. Is it possible to write a program with ptolemy II without using vergil?
    2. How can I do so? A documentation pointer would be good enough.

    If it is not possible to write a program using ptolemy II without the
    usage of vergil or if it is considered to be too complicated. Please
    tell me :-)

    thanks and greetings
       Reiner

    --