Hi Boldoo,
I see no apparent reason why you would get a NullPointerException.
Perhaps the cause of the exception is further down the stack trace?

Do you have a complete test case?

It is a little odd that you are sending data during initialize()
though.

Can you use the regular Ptolemy Parameter facility?  Ptolemy II 6.0.2
includes Publish and Subscribe actors which might help you here.

_Christopher

--------

    Hi hackers,

    I'm trying to make an (composite) actor that contains
    a variable "nextEventNode". This variable must get its
    initial value during initialization. (further some
    other actors read this value also in the
    initialization phase)
    So I modeled the "InitRandom" (TypedAtomicActor) actor
    that has above variable as public variable, and has
    the "initialize()" method, in which this variable gets
    its initial random value.
    But when I run whole model (created in vergil), which
    has my (composite) actor, it returns
    "NullPointerException" exception. Below is the message
    from the stack trace.

    java.lang.NullPointerException
     at myActors.InitRandom.initialize(InitRandom.java:87)
     at
    ptolemy.actor.Director.initialize(Director.java:609)
     at
    ptolemy.actor.Director.initialize(Director.java:582)
     at
    ptolemy.domains.de.kernel.DEDirector.initialize(DEDirector.java:766)
     at
    ptolemy.actor.CompositeActor.initialize(CompositeActor.java:549)
     at
    ptolemy.actor.Director.initialize(Director.java:609)
     at
    ptolemy.actor.Director.initialize(Director.java:582)
     at
    ptolemy.domains.de.kernel.DEDirector.initialize(DEDirector.java:766)
     at
    ptolemy.actor.CompositeActor.initialize(CompositeActor.java:549)
     at ptolemy.actor.Manager.initialize(Manager.java:575)
     at ptolemy.actor.Manager.execute(Manager.java:320)
     at ptolemy.actor.Manager.run(Manager.java:1044)
     at ptolemy.actor.Manager$3.run(Manager.java:1085)

    Code in the "InitRandom" actor are below.

    in the constructor section:
     Variable nextEventNode = new Variable(this,
    "nextEventNode");
     nextEventNode.setTypeEquals(BaseType.DOUBLE);
     public Variable nextEventNode;

    in the initialize() method:
    (line 85) double initValue = _random.nextDouble()*10;

    (line 87) nextEventNode.setToken(new
    DoubleToken(initValue));

    (line 89) output.send(0, nextEventNode.getToken());

    So any tips would be helpful for me.

    Boldoo