> Do I remember correctly that Ptolemy does not in any way support
> Java concurrency or multi-threading?

This depends on your domain really. PN for example uses quite a bit of
threading.

If so, then I would assume that one couldn't safely run 2 models in one JVM,
> even if each had its own instances of TypedCompositeActor, Manager,
> Director, etc.  If one wanted concurrency, one would run separate JVM's,
> each with one model that would have no contact with any other model.  Right?

You can safely run multiple models in one JVM. You just need to make sure
that you have two instances of the model in memory. We do this by using the
MoMLParser.parser(String) to open multiple instances of the same model.

If (in one JVM) I had a program running that wanted to run several models
> (similar to each other), one after the other, how much reuse of Ptolemy
> instances makes sense?  Would you recommend nulling all references after
> each model run, and instantiating all Ptolemy objects fresh?  Or would it
> make any sense to reuse the same TypedCompositeActor, Manager, Director,
> etc?

We do this as well. We have some code that "injects" some actors into a
model before me run it, and we modify several parameters. When the execution
has completed we remove these "injected" actors and reset the parameters.
When running sequential runs on the same model we reuse everything.

Does Ptolemy have a way to scrub all actors out of a model, allowing the
> creation of new ones?

We create all of our "injected" actors in their own composite at the top
level. That we when we want to delete them we can simply delete that one
CompositeEntity.

Brian