> There is no need to modify the underlying framework to do this.
> Just put a subclass of ptolemy.actor.gui.ParameterEditorStyle
> (an attribute) inside the attribute that you want a custom input
> box for.  Your subclass can implement that custom input box,
> and it will automatically appear in the query box.  This is how
> the style preferences currently there are implemented.

Taking the FileChooserStyle as example: it calls the public
addFileChooser method of the Query class in order to be able to add
the JLabel and the QueryFileChooser box via the protected _addPair
method. Unless I'm willing to modify the Query class (adding another
public addXYZ method), I'm not able to add my own custom box outside
the ptolemy.gui package, right? And wouldn't it be also necessary to
add my own style class to the _parameterStyles member of the
ptolemy.actor.gui.style.StyleConfigurer?

Cheers, Peter
http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~fracpete/           Ph. +64 (7) 858-5174