I've been working on building a Ptolemy release that supports
Itcl3.0/Tcl8.0.4/Tk8.0.5, and I keep thinking I'm almost done, but
then run into further problems.

At this point, I have a set of tar files that work reasonably well
under Solaris2.5.1.  The biggest problem is that parts of Tycho
are not as well polished as they should be.  In particular, the
keyboard menu traversals do not work as well as they should.

I'm also hoping that the next release will work better under
Cygwin32.  There have been a number of problems with that port.
The current big problem is that the SDF Tk demos hang.  The
reason is that in Ptolemy 0.7.1, the Cygwin port did not use
itimers and the event loop speedups.  In the current sources
we are using the event loop, which results in a 10x speed up.
My guess is that this is the problem.

Another problem that I'm running into is that when I untar the
distribution using Cygwin tar I don't own the files, the
administrator user owns them.  As a result, I have to run chmod -R a+w
$PTOLEMY.

The Cygwin port required that some non-MSDOS compliant filenames be
changed.  In $PTOLEMY/lib/colors, there were directories with '%' in
the name and a directory named 'con'.  I renamed these directories
and modified ptfixtree so that it automatically fixes the Ptolemy tree
facets.

Since the Itcl changes and the Cygwin file name changes are not
backward compatible, we decided to call the next release 0.7.2devel
The changes between 0.7.1 and 0.7.2devel do not include very many new
stars or increased functionality, the changes are mainly there to
cover ports.

I'm willing to make the 0.7.2devel sources available on a limited
basis, but they are not ready for public consumption yet.  If you (or
anyone else) wants access to the new tree, send me email, and I'll
tell you how to download them.

I think that having a few more people hack on the 0.7.2devel tree will
help us figure out the bugs and get this released.

BTW - Tcl Blend starts up from within pigiRpc.  However, we have had
various problems with pigi hanging, so it is likely that there are
problems. You can download Tcl Blend 1.1 sources from
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cxh/java/tcljava/

-Christopher

--------

    Hi Hackers,

    I have a lot of work devoloped in Ptolemy 0.7 (rebuilt from scratch on a
    SUN Solaris 2.6 platform) and I am tring to create some Tcl "gluing"
    scripts to interface all this stuff with other environments.
    For example, I ran into Tcl Blend which allows to easily interface Tcl
    with Java objects. However such package is available for Tcl8.0 whereas
    Ptolemy 0.7 uses ITcl based on Tcl7.6.
    ITcl has already the "class" definition needed by Tcl Blend, but may be
    there are other improvements in Tcl8.0 which are not present in ITcl.
    Could anybody give me more information on such problems?
    Do you know if and, in case positive, how it is possible to update the
    ITcl in Ptolemy 0.7 to Tcl8.0 including new Tcl extensions developed by
    myself or others (such as Tcl Blend)?

    Thank you.

    Mario Russo
    --