These projects sound superb to me...

We have explored (2) somewhat a few years ago, using a combination
of multidimensional dataflow and higher order functions, but I still
consider this to be a wide open field...

On (1), Chamberlain Fong in our group has recently designed a "DD3D"
domain that specifically supports three-dimensional mechanical system
modeling and animation using Java 3D.  Your efforts here would therefore
couple into a very nice visualization tool.

Thirdly, we are moving to make our CVS repository accessible from
outside to knowledgeable outside developers.  Please send me email
if you are interested in the details.  One key unresolved issue is
how we spread our software engineering standards to the community.

Although we are not in Europe, please let me know if there is anything
we can do to help...

Edward Lee
Professor