A couple of possibilities that occur offhand:

1) You have a CLASSPATH environment variable set, and it doesn't
    include the root Ptolemy directory.

2) You are missing the jar files and/or class files.
    See if the file $PTII/ptolemy/domains/sdf/kernel/SDFDirector.class
    is present.  If not, you need to compile...

Edward Lee