This sounds like an interesting problem, but as you say, probably
one that is not compatible with Vergil.  It would be easy enough
(and probably quite a bit of fun) to create a distinct visualization
tool on top of diva to show these cells.  You could, for example, show
actors as small circles (you will have to place them), and not show
connections, but rather have connections implied by proximate placing.

Note that the Ptolemy kernel should have no difficulty with a model that
creates actors and connections while it runs.

Edward