I'm confused... why are you not creating the models in Vergil?
You should be able to just say:

    vergil filename.xml

and it is open, perform the auto layout, and save the model.

The way locations of icons are represented by Vergil is by attaching
Location attributes to the objects in the model.

I must be missing something here...

Edward Lee