I have some notes for compiling Ptolemy II 0.7.2 devel under Linux
at
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyclassic/pt0.7.2/linux.htm

I'll see about adding a more prominent link to that page from
the 0.7.1 page.

xv not compiling is fairly common, you can run without it.
xv is also available elsewhere.

If pigiRpc is not present, then you probably have a compilation
problem.
Try
cd $PTOLEMY
make >& make.out

and then look in make.out for lines that contain three ***

-Christopher

--------

    Hi again. Thanks all for your answers to my last question. i'm trying ti re
   build
    from scratch Ptolemy classic 0.7.1. I am with linux debian 3.0 (woody).I us
    bash, not cshell.

    I got the sources to 0.7.1,, the tar-gz archives with the global src and
    "others". Then I untar the archives, in $PTOLEMY, and foollow the instructi
   ons
    in the web page of Ptolemy project, doing make and make install. Then an er
   ror
    happened, something related with Tycho. Perhaps I hasn't got Tcl/tk or some
   thing
    about that.

    Then, I do:

    make everything

    Now, I got an error related with xv. I suppose that I didn't finish my
    installation or something doesn't work right, because when I try to start p
   igi
    from $PTOLEMY/bin/pigi, it says that pigi.Rpc doesn't exists or is not prep
   ared
    to be executable.

    I think I'm doing something wrong. Perphaps it would be easier if I get som
    .deb files from ptolemy, but I don't know how to got them.

    Can I receive some help? Thanks again and regards.