Hi Chad,
Without looking at some code, I'm not sure.

In ptII/doc, TableDisplayWithConfigure.java extends EditorPaneFactory.

If you run
  cd $PTII/doc
  make
  $PTII/bin/vergil TableDisplayModel.xml

then two actors come up.  If you double click on the
TableDisplayWithConfigure actor, then you get the standard dialog with
all the buttons.

My guess is that ptolemy.actor.gui.EditParametersDialog is getting
invoked somehow?
I put a breakpoint into the EditParametersDialog constructor and
it looks like in ptolemy/vergil/toolbox/DoubleClickAction.java
the line marked with ----> is executing

             List editorList = target.attributeList(EditorFactory.class);

            // Open up the user-customized editor if either Alt key
            // is not pressed, or there is already a double-click
            // factory (whether Alt is pressed or not).
            if (editorList.size() > 0 &&
                    (!altKeyPressed || attributeList.size() > 0) ) {

                EditorFactory factory = (EditorFactory)
                editorList.get(0);
                factory.createEditor(target, parent);
            } else {
---->           new EditParametersDialog(parent, target);
            }

The reason this line executes is because the actor has no attribute
of type EditorFactory.  If I edit doc/tutorial/TableModelDisplay.xml
and add and _editoryFactory, then I can change which editor comes up.

    <entity name="TableDisplayWithConfigure"
class="doc.tutorial.TableDisplayWithConfigure">
        <property name="_editorFactory"
class="ptolemy.vergil.toolbox.AnnotationEditorFactory"/>
        <property name="_windowProperties"
class="ptolemy.actor.gui.WindowPropertiesAttribute">

I don't think this is exactly what you are after, but looking at where
EditParameters is getting invoked could be of interest.

_Christopher
--------

    Hi,

    I've recently customized the configuration pane on one of my actors by
    extending EditorPaneFactory.  The problem I'm having is that the default
    buttons in the configuration dialog still appear, although they now make
    no sense in my dialog.  Is there a way to keep all or some of them from
    appearing?

    thanks,
    chad