I think I may have a similar problem here. In my keepalived.make KERNEL_DIR
does not seem to be defined if I do this:

KEEPALIVED_AUTOCONF += --with-kernel-dir=$(KERNEL_DIR)

However, this works if I add '--with-kernel-dir=$(KERNEL_DIR)' to my configure
line:

./configure $(KEEPALIVED_AUTOCONF) --with-kernel-dir=$(KERNEL_DIR)

Any ideas?

Jari