Hi Michael,

El martes, 11 de octubre de 2016, Michael Olbrich <m.olbr...@pengutronix.de>
escribió:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 09:26:02AM +0200, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> > I am trying to create a ptxdist package for Harfbuzz
> > (https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/HarfBuzz/) but I have found
> > that Harfbuzz has a circular dependency with freetype: FreeType can
> > use Harfbuzz to improve hinting, but Hardbuzz needs FreeType to build.
> >
> > Typical advice on how to handle this is: First build freetype without
> > Harfbuzz support, then build and install Harfbuzz, then rebuild and
> > reinstall Freetype with Harfbuzz support.
> >
> > "Install FreeType, then HarfBuzz, then after HarfBuzz is installed,
> > rebuild and reinstall FreeType".
> >
> > My question is, how can this handled in ptxdist?
> >
> > I am considering something like the following:
> >
> > 1. A Freetype_bootstrap package that will build FT without Harfbuzz,
> > with an empty targetinstall stage. This is just so that Harfbuzz can
> > build
> > 2. A Harfbuzz package that requires Freetype_bootstrap, and does the
> > actual targetinstall for Harfbuzz
> > 3. Modify the Freetype package to add a "ENABLE_HARFBUZZ" option. If
> > this is enabled, then Freetype also SELECTS Harfbuzz.
> >
> > Does this sound reasonable?
> >
> > Are there other cases like this in ptxdist ?
>
> I don't think there is a better solution. So just do it like this.

I am just thinking that this does not completely solve the problem. If
someone selects harfbuzz but not freetype, harfbuzz will build correctly
but will fail at runtime because freetype will not be present. The obvious
solution of making harfbuzz depend on freetype will not allow to build
freetype --with-harfbuzz (chicken and egg problem)

I am not sure how to solve this. Any ideas?

Guillermo

--
Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
guille.rodrig...@gmail.com