Hi,

On 10/12/2016 01:31 PM, Koch, Alexander wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
>>> Is there anything newer to act as a starting point for creating x86
>>> images with recent PTXdist versions?
>>>
>> The DistroKit [0].
>
> Thanks for the hint. I had had a quick look at this before, but found
> only the platform definitions for arm7a and rpi, and therefore dropped it.

Yes, this is also enough for testing it on several arm platforms.

>>> Any advice on how to get to an x86 image without creating a new BSP from
>>> scratch is appreciated. I'm not new to PTXdist but have only done ARM
>>> images so far.
>>>
>> I currently have some i586 plattform here (because doing some
>> experiments with a project which has 32 bit support only and I don't
>> fight currently for x86_64 multilib support.) Nevertheless, it's not
>> mainline and x86 32 bit system is somewhat deprecated (in my opinion).
>
> I know 32bit x86 embedded is dull, but I really need to work that Atom
> Z510 which does not support x86_64. The box does not have a NIC (yet),
> so NFS is currently not an option for me.

If you run it in QEMU then you can emulate an atom which has a NIC. This
is good for develop your BSP/Userspace Softwate/ETC. If it's at some
point that you want the 1:1 behaviour on your atom board -> flash the
image and make a release after some testing.

> So your advice would be to take the DistroKit BSP and create a new
> platform for my x86 target?

I would suggest to copy v7a platform to a atom2510 platform. Then
select this platform and start ptxdist platformconfig -> change
everything to your atom platform.

Then start ptxdist kernelconfig -> change everything to your platform.

Then look into run-nfs/run script and qemu-common source file and change
everything that it emulates a atom.

---

For the switch between QEMU and your atom board, I would disable then
everything what you don't need in the kernelconfig which was necessary
only for doing QEMU testing stuff.

btw:

qemu-i386 -cpu "?"

gives you a list of possible cpu emulations, there is also some:

x86             n270  Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270   @ 1.60GHz

don't know if this fits into your use-case.

For the specific platform changes -> I can't help you there. But I think
there exists now a DistroKit Mailinglist [0], you can send-patches there and
we will review.

- Alex