> > Judging from the ipkg-push file, it's made to support not just opkg, but
> > also ipkg, which I don't think supports the SHA256 checksum. So just
> > blindly adding the checksum parameter to the commandline would not
> > maintain the generic support. On the other hand, I haven't found any
> > other users of the script than ones where it's called with opkg as the
> > type.
>
> ipkg-push is pretty much unmaintained on my side. I don't use it at all.
> This is the only reason why it still supports ipkg. We removed the ipkg
> support pretty much everywhere else a long time ago.
>
> I don't know much about this but it seem to me, that always having SHA256
> checksums wont hurt, right?

I think the main issue would be that the target opkg package needs to be
configured to have SHA256 support, and that thus not all targets might support
it? I can easily keep md5 as the default, as long as there's a clean way to
switch to sha256.

> With all that, I think:
>
> > Suggestions:
> > - Make ipkg-push just support opkg, and allow the checksumtype to be
> >   specified as a parameter to the script (image_ipkg.make already
> >   generates the local using opkg-make-index only)
>
> This is the way to go. Just remove the 'type' option. And, unless there is
> a good reason against it, just add the '--checksum SHA256' arguments
> unconditionally.
> Probably for the other user of opkg-make-index as well.

Sounds good, I've prepared a patch - allows the checksum type to be set in
platformconfig, then propagates it to the script (replacing the 'type' argument
with a 'checksum' argument instead), and also uses the selected type for the
local index generation.