On Tue, Jun 02, 2020 at 03:16:34PM +0200, Michael Olbrich wrote:
> On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 09:56:15PM +0200, Roland Hieber wrote:
> > >
> > > "The whole package, starting with version 1.1.22, is distributed underĀ·
> > > the GNU GPL license, found in the accompanying file 'COPYING'."
> > >
> > > And the COPYING file does not exist... But check the latest version: The
> > > COPYING exist there and it's GPL-2.0 and with the wording above I'd say
> > > GPL-2.0-only.
> >
> > Given that this release is from 2007, I'd rather file another staging
> > patch than do a version bump...
>
> ok, can you rebase your branch to remove corresponding the license patch?

Yes, I'll send a PULL v2.

> > But what does that mean for the documentation patch above? Of course it
> > very much concerns only edge cases, but then, edge cases is what that
> > section is really about ^^ So I think only the wording needs to be
> > adapted to clarify that it applies only when not even a GPL text is
> > available. Or what was the reason in your view that the package was not
> > even distributable?
>
> For the documentation, the main thing is "don't assume". If it's really
> unclear, then just use 'custom' and add all relevant texts to the license
> files. Then whoever creates a BSP must decide for themself if the license
> is acceptable.
> The license identifier is just a hint. And it must be the correct one not
> just whatever is closest. Otherwise it's useless.

Right, that sounds reasonable.

Also I found old documentation in the dev_manual.rst, which I'll
integrate into this patch. It also fits better in the developer manual
instead of the daily use chapter.

 - Roland

--
Roland Hieber, Pengutronix e.K.          | r.hie...@pengutronix.de     |