Hi,

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 06:39:29PM +0100, Christian Melki wrote:
> I'd like to package (docker) a complete ptxdist build environment for a
> target platform but as light as possible. Since most application developers
> do not care about platform stuff, but still need to build images from time
> to time.

What exactly do you want to do in the docker? Just create images? Compile
selected packages?

> So now I have this question: Can I purge build and still produce results?
>
> If I build a platform and remove src, platform-X/build-target,
> platform-X/build-host the actual storage requirements for a docker becomes
> _far_ less. All state are kept so I'd want the user to be able to do clean
> && compile for his rules. Also I'd like to be able to do a complete go &&
> images.

If a package is done and not rebuilt, then you don't need the corresponding
directory in build-target / build-host and packages/.

> The major caveat seems to be the sources directory. If I whipe the sources,
> ptxdist tries to rebuild stuff, even if there is no file (not changed,
> missing) and all states are completed. Get, prepare, compile, install etc.

There is a dependency on the source archive. However, it's a "existence
only" dependency, so the timestamp of the file does not matter. It should
be possible to replace all the source archives with empty files.

> Is there a proper way ptxdist can accomodate this usecase? I don't find it
> unresonable. There is little point in keeping everything or every user
> producing every bit of the result.
> Storage requirements is only like 10% of the original. Far easier to keep
> complete states of releases as fast checkpoints for minor corrections.

I think, with the right tricks this should already be possible. But only
if you are very careful. As soon as some dependency triggers a rebuilt then
it will break apart with strange errors. And you'll probably need to
rebuild most of the BSP. And changing that is quite complex.

Michael