Hi,

please keep the mailing list in Cc.

On Fri, Oct 07, 2022 at 02:43:51PM +0000, Richard OGrady wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 05, 2022 at 08:44:44PM +0000, Richard OGrady wrote:
> > > Debugging a prepare stage issue so trying to understand this chunk of
> > > code in pkg-config-wrapper.
> > >
> > > for pkg in ${pkgs}; do
> > >    if [[ ! " ${whitelist} " =~ " ${pkg} " && ! "${pkg}" =~ '-uninstalled'
> > > ]]; then
> > >       echo "$(basename ${0}): warning: blocking '${pkg}': not selected by
> > '${PKGCONFIG_WHITELIST_SRC}'" >&${ERROR_FD}
> > >       exit 1
> > >   fi
> > > done
> > >
> > > Where does ${whitelist} come from?  Have tried to trace this back and
> > > best guess is it may come
> > from ../state/${PKGCONFIG_WHITELIST_SRC}. pkgconfig .
> > >
> > > If this is the case, perhaps pkg-config-wrapper can't be used during
> > > prepare as the .pkgconfig file
> > > isn't there yet?
> >
> > ${whitelist} is defined as PKGCONFIG_WHITELIST_HOST or
> > PKGCONFIG_WHITELIST_TARGET
> > depending on whether the host or cross pkgconfig is called. For example
> > PKGCONFIG_WHITELIST_HOST is used by when the Linux kernel looks for openssl
> > to build a host tool.
> >
> > These variables are filled by the .pkgconfig files from all packages that
> > are selected in the .in file. So
> > those are already available during the prepare stage.
>
> I think this is where I am having a problem.  My file gstreamer2-imx.in
> select(s) the dependency libimxdmabuffer.  My file libimxdmabuffer.in
> only select(s) the dependency HOST_SYSTEM_PYTHON3 and its pkgconfig file
> is empty as expected.  So the dependency libimxdmabuffer isn't in
> PKGCONFIG_WHITELIST_TARGET when gstreamer2-imx is prepared and the
> pkg-config-wrapper blocks it.
>
> From your description it seems that primary dependencies (like
> libimxdmabuffer) are not in PKGCONFIG_WHITELIST_TARGET.  Is that the
> case? I would think this is a common scenario so I must still be missing
> something.

When you build gstreamer2-imx, then libimxdmabuffer should be in
PKGCONFIG_WHITELIST_TARGET. But please note, that
PKGCONFIG_WHITELIST_TARGET does not contain the ptxdist package names but
the .pc file names without the .pc suffix.
And the .pkgconfig of libimxdmabuffer should contain something. Is the file
empty or is it not generated at all? What's the output of:

find platform-<your-platform>/packages/libimxdmabuffer-<version>/ -name *.pc

Replace the path with the directory that is filled by libimxdmabuffer.

Michael