Thanks for update, and I am impressed with most of the proposals.  I like
the idea of Size of Council being  simultaneously determined by each voter.

What about length appointments and dissolutions?  There's a lot of benefits
if Council is dissolved only in extraordinary circumstances (like the
Senate), so normally it doesn't dissolve.  With half (or 1/3) replaced each
year, and 2 (or 3) year appointments, there would still be annual elections
(and the number then could still be determined by each voter).

Would a small working executive necessarily all be or could Council appoint
from wider ranks or even externally - with nominations by Councillors?  If
drawn from Council, would menbers of working executive retain full Council
voting privileges?  Would each position on the working executive be
appointed or just the leader?  If electing to each position, or just the
leadership, Hare-Clarke PR won't work, but what about most preferred
candidate and 2nd most preferred candidate getting position and deputy
position?  As well as inhibiting polarisation, this could be model for 2
member electorates in federal & state parliaments.

Finally what about proxies? If each elected position brings as many proxy
votes as preferences, we'd certainly have "One vote - One Value, and the
'numbers' game would change dramatically, but not necessarily for the
better.

I could add a few more comments but put these in 1st for reactions.

Regards

Jim Stewart
phone/fax:  +617 3397 4420 (with Messagebank)
      mobile:      04 1427 4420 (with voice-mail)

Subject: Neither Constitution