[AL]
>I propose the following alternative:
>
>"Neither rejects the present system of single member electorates
>designed to ensure
>that two major parties with less than 80% of the vote have almost
>all the representatives in the House of Representatives while the
>remaining 20%
>are completely unrepresented.
>
>"We demand a representative legislature in which the House of
>Representatives
>is directly chosen by the people of the Commonwealth voting as a single
>electorate so that all parties are represented in proportion to their
>support."

[AA]
With the exception of 'all parties' I'd support this - some people run
as
independants and not affiliated to any party.  Where's the room for
Pauline
Pantsdown in the above? ;-)

[AL]
Fair enough, how about "views" instead of "parties"?

Note however that what the 2 of us seem to be agreed on still has major
difficulties explained in the "Democracy Bill" subject thread concerning
implementation of a single electorate with 150 seats.