Thanks Marianne, for passing my 1st e-mail on to Andrew.  I hope he and your
colleagues will value a bit more support.

I was encouraged enough by tonight's reports to put the following thoughts
together, and hope they will strengthen the Democrats resolve to give
democracy a chance to come back from the depths to which our government has
taken it.  I'll also cc this to others who may also want to support you(or
not, as is their right).

What chance Meg Lees and your colleagues could turn (hollow)threats of
another election back at the Canberra & Coalition bullies?  With credible
reform policies from community participation, the Democrats should win back
a lot of lost support in any double dissolution, and even reclaim Don
Chipp's mantle.  Not that JH has the ticker for any sort of election!  What
bets he won't lead them into the next one if Meg holds out?

It is also interesting to see the contradictions in govt spokespersons and
media commentators as they try to regain control of the agenda.  At least
Ted Evans was honest when talking about "progressing the governments reform
agenda".  Of course its no easy matter to defy the will of a growing
majority of Australians; even if Sir Humphrey really does know whats good
for them!  His claim that "nothing could be better calculated to unwind the
superior economic performance" displays total arrogance, and contempt for
those suffering so much from years of their 'superior performance'.

If anything is 'superior performance', its the way income tax 'bracket
creep' can be used to produce budget surpluses which are then promised back
as tax 'cuts'.  This was even made LAW in 1993, but has never happened
because our G-Gs who would be sacked if they dared to enact the 'will of
parliament'!  Since then at least $40 billion extra tax has been collected.
Not enough to pay all the extra welfare costs this has inflicted, but
certainly 'superior performance' in treachery!

Wouldn't it be nice if the Senate refused supply in 1999 on the basis that
the government should first enact existing law, before bullying it to pass
new ones it knows have negligible chance of improving jobs growth (except in
the tax industry).  Who'd like to see that?  Ask your local MP, even if not
a Democrat to represent your will.

Jim Stewart
Mobile:      04 1427 4420 (with voice-mail)