At 17:07 21/05/99 +1000, Mark Holsworth wrote:
>If you don't support the AEC turn up to the next
>election
>wearing a t-shirt reading "AEC = NAZI" and hang around the electoral station
>tearing up
>ballot papers because "you made a mistake in expressing your preferences"
>and you would
>like another one (legally you are allowed to do this ad infinitum).

I think this may be something of an over-reaction.  In any case, the
article (or person?) was incorrect in stating that it's compulsory to vote.
 It's not - but it is compulsory to either show up or request a ballot
paper to be posted to you.  You can write anything you like on that ballot
paper, or nothing at all.

>If you really want to embarass an ALP supporter of compulsory voting ask
>them about
>their priorities in citizen's responsibities: why is it compulsory to vote
>when it isn't
>compulsory to innoculate your children against contagious dieseases?

Why just an ALP supporter of compulsory voting?  Why not a Liberal,
National, Democrat etc supporter?

Alister