are you aware of the proposal regarding indigenous protected areas? I have just received a confidential document outlining the proposal for law enforcement powers to be granted to managers of indigenous protected areas.

There are many areas managed by indigenous peoples ie pastoral leases etc.

Under the proposed law, enforcement powers for conservation, crime, heritage, aboriginal sites, fishing, agriculture, trespass,etc will de delegated to the managers of the IPA. "Indigenous Protected Areas." The proposal is to coopt the managers of IPA's as law enforcers or rangers under state legislation.

The proposal is part of the Fed Govt push to increase Nature reserves.

It has international and Federal Government support behind it.

Bill, this proposal represents the most dramatic departure from the rule of law that I have so far come across.