Yes, it's exactly the thing I was thinking about - what is the business
model (or at least approach that can bring money) for content providers to

   1. create data
   2. release it under open (or not so open) license so other parties can
   freely use it
   3. and spend money on RDFizing it

I think, until this is resolved, Semantic Web is not going to blossom and go
far beyond open data.

Publishers are fighting for attention because current business model is
based on advertising (other models like micropayments, payment propagation
from ISPs to content providers and so on didn't work out). That's why they
are happy to give money and optimize their content to Google standards for
SEO purposes, but what will make them RDFize their data?

But in reality it's not all that bad - RSS showed that people are interested
in opening their content and adding structure to it if users come back to
their site to enjoy full experience. It's just a question of what level of
open data will those big (or not so big) publishers open to public and at
which point will users need to go back to their site to see the ads. Or
maybe see the ads withing the consuming application?

In any case, I think it's a big question worth discussing, unfortunately I
didn't see any business-related sessions on LinkedData Planet.

          Sergey

--
Sergey Chernyshev
http://www.sergeychernyshev.com/