An on a related topic and the reason why doing cancer informatics is so
exciting in this area: a happy story where exploring data patterns enabled
curing a cancer which had a 4-5% survival chance -
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/health/in-gene-sequencing-treatment-for-leukemia-glimpses-of-the-future.html?_r=1