On 11/25/13 8:22 AM, Ruben Verborgh wrote:
Hi Kingsley,

Are words such as "enables" , "facilitates" etc.. so bad that we can no longer
make statements like:

<a/> enables name to address indirection in HTML via URIs? Basically, that it
enables exploitation URI serve dually as a document name and a content access address
i.e., a hyperlink.

Would REST be less useful if the word "affordance" wasn't engrained in its
narrative?
In my talks, I say that enabling is stronger than affording.
You can visit the page without the link, that's enabled by the server. (E.g.,
you can copy/paste a URI in to the address bar.)
However, the link affords it: it has an actionable property that lets you do it
directly (even though you could do it without).

Best,

Ruben

Ruben,

Do you have a link to the talk in question?

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO