On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Kashyap, Vipul wrote:
Nigam,

This is an interesting example...

Have an example for this one: If the instance is of a the class "Tumor"
then
on giving treatment it changes in size, shape etc, and might ultimately
disappear. On each visit we are observing a different version of the tumor
instance [in Tom].

[VK] Clearly there is a longitudinal aspect to this as the state of the tumor
changes over time....

 .. snip ..

IMHO, the former representation conveys more information and meaning...
So, it may make sense not to confound versioning with temporal progression...

Spot on. I myself have had a hard time trying to grapple with the notion of allowing 'content' revision control to trickle into formal knoweldge representation and have yet to come across a scenario that demonstrates where this makes any sense.

If a class has a particular 'definition' (i.e., the criteria for membership of its instances) at a particular time and that definition 'changes' then we are talking about a different class altogether not a 'version' of the same class - the extension of both classes are no longer the same. Unless the definition change is annotative only and doesn't really have any 'logical' consequences. In which case a SKOS, time-stamped annotation for a human reader is sufficient and what we really have in mind.

Chimezie Ogbuji
Lead Systems Analyst
Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
Cleveland Clinic Foundation