On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:14:40 -0000, Óscar Toledo G. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Also generating exceptions on reading status and statusText,
is a little awkward, I think that zero and empty string
are more sensible selections.

There's some amount of legacy content and implementations we have to deal with...

Other suggestions, the send method can include a second
argument to indicate the desired timeout in milliseconds,
to generate an event, would be better than setTimeout, as
the event would not be generated if the answer comes first
or the onerror handler exists and it is invoked first.

Not for this version. We are considering something like that for XMLHttpRequest 2.

The onerror event is necessary to detect a failed request
(by example: server not responding HTTP connection), so is
worth to have it into the draft, along with onload. Other
alternative would be a special status 5 (Request error)
for readyState.

Error handling for XMLHttpRequest 1 comes down to going to readyState 4 and having fields set to their initial values which is what most UAs do today. XMLHttpRequest 2 will deal with this.

In the responseXML description, the draft could say
something like:
  "An UA with a HTML implementation, may support
   additionally text/html, the Document node may have
   properties related to DOM HTML.".

XMLHttpRequest 2.

--
Anne van Kesteren